It struck me after our last board meeting how few questions the participants asked each other. (And by questions, I don’t mean “Why don’t you…”.) So a week later, thinking about Mark Suster’s Asking Questions More Effectively, I sent our board members 5 questions:
- What was your overall reaction to our board meeting?
- What are the biggest factors holding us back?
- What blind spots (if any) do you think we have as a company?
- What is your top piece of advice for us?
- How do you think you can add the most value to SA between now and the next board meeting?
The answers were superb (thank you, guys). But it shocked me how their views weren’t already clear to me after a two hour board meeting. I wasn’t asking the right questions, and wasn’t listening enough. I wonder how many other founder CEOs have the same experience.