Let me give you a simple frame-work when you are cold emailing or trying to get someone to chat with you:
- Flattery. Do you compliment them or stroke their ego a bit?
- Benefit. How will this benefit them (not just you)? Do you spell it out and is it a real benefit?
- Credibility. How can YOU be the person the other person would enjoy meeting?
- Call to action (aka the ask). He didn’t ask for a 60 minute phone call but a digestible request that seemed appropriate.
- Read it out loud. Read your email out loud with a timer. If it’s a longer than a minute, cut it down.