What we learned:
– Lots of pressure (or guilt) to do things the traditional way. But think first principles
– Fortunately, we spent almost all our effort making an elegant, simple product that just works and making users happy
– And we worked our asses off
– And hired the smartest people we knew
– “Keep the main thing the main thing”
– Mostly ignored: Hiring non-engineers; mainstream PR; traditional messaging / positioning; deadlines, process, “best practices”; having a “real” website; partnerships / bizdev; having lots of features.
– Product-market fit cures many sins of management