From How To Sell Your Product If It’s a Vitamin and Not A Pain-Killer by Stuart Silverman:
In general, your product falls into one of two categories. Either it is a pain-killer that solves a very critical business pain, need, or crisis for your prospect. Or it is a vitamin that doesn’t really solve any major pain or crisis, but is a nice-to-have and is just a better way of doing something.
Vitamins are extremely hard to sell, because it is almost impossible to get the prospect’s time and attention, and it’s very hard to create urgency around the sale. So how do we sell a vitamin?
1. Focus on increased revenue
2. Focus on increased budget dollars
3. Show how your product provides a competitive edge
4. Point out that 1-2 of your prospect’s competitors are using your product
5. Tie the sale to your prospect’s boss’s needs
6. Tie the sale to helping your prospect with his/her career
7. Create urgency by using a specific date