Questions from Y Combinator’s application form; I’ve re-arranged the order and inserted the headings:
1. What’s new about what you’re making?
2. How do you know people need what you’re making?
3. What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?
1. Why did you pick this idea to work on?
2. Do you have domain expertise in this area?
3. What do you understand about your business that other companies in it just don’t get?
(1) Note the similarities to Clarifying your strategy using a simple template.
(2) Re. “Why did you pick this idea to work on?”, see Passionate founders and product-market fit.
(3) See the section on Product-Market Fit in Best Practices for Startups.