Edited excerpt from Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead by Laszlo Bock, SVP of People Operations at Google:
1. Be a good coach.
2. Empower the team and do not micromanage.
3. Express interest / concern for team members’ success and personal well-being.
4. Be very productive / results oriented.
5. Be a good communicator — listen and share information.
6. Help the team with career development.
7. Have a clear vision / strategy for the team.
8. Have important technical skills that help advise the team.
(1) There’s nothing explicit here about providing your team with clear goals and metrics — although arguably that’s included in “empower the team and do not micromanage” and “be very… results oriented”.
(2) See (i) Setting clear goals = empowerment and (ii) How LinkedIn manages people using objectives and key results.