Edited excerpt from Get Better Sleep: 5 Powerful New Tips From Research by Eric Barker:
1. Avoid smartphones and devices at night. But they’re great when you’re dealing with jet lag.
2. A good nightly routine is key. No alcohol before bed, think positive thoughts, and write down worries to dismiss them.
3. Naps are awesome. Just keep them under 30 minutes. Drink a cup of coffee before you lay down.
4. Sleeping in two chunks is natural. Get up and do something for a little while and then go back to bed.
5. Your body goes through sleep cycles of 90 minutes, so plan your sleep in 90 minute blocks.
Sometimes we’re our own worst enemy. We stay up surfing the net or watching Netflix. How can we behave better? Forget the morning alarm clock; set an alarm to remind you when to go to bed.