Edited excerpt from The Ultimate List of Customer Development Questions by Mike Fishbein:
1. What do you think could be done to help you with [problem]?
2. What would your ideal solution to this problem look like?
3. If you could wave a magic wand and instantly have any imaginable solution to this problem, what would it look like?
4. What’s the hardest part about [process you’re improving]?
5. What are you currently doing to solve this problem/get this value?
6. What do you like and dislike about [competing product or solution]?
(1) On the question about the customer’s ideal solution (question 3), Mike writes: “I’ve found that about 80% the time the answers I get to this question are not very informative – solutions that aren’t feasible or most certainly wouldn’t be profitable. But the other 20% of the time there are some really informative responses that make the other 80% acceptable.”
(2) See also: How to learn about your customers.