Product discovery questions to ask potential customers

Edited excerpt from The Ultimate List of Customer Development Questions by Mike Fishbein:

1. What do you think could be done to help you with [problem]?
2. What would your ideal solution to this problem look like?
3. If you could wave a magic wand and instantly have any imaginable solution to this problem, what would it look like?
4. What’s the hardest part about [process you’re improving]?
5. What are you currently doing to solve this problem/get this value?
6. What do you like and dislike about [competing product or solution]?

Notes:
(1) On the question about the customer’s ideal solution (question 3), Mike writes: “I’ve found that about 80% the time the answers I get to this question are not very informative – solutions that aren’t feasible or most certainly wouldn’t be profitable. But the other 20% of the time there are some really informative responses that make the other 80% acceptable.”
(2) See also: How to learn about your customers.

2 thoughts on “Product discovery questions to ask potential customers

  1. Pingback: How to identify your customers’ “Job To Be Done” | A Founder's Notebook

  2. Pingback: How to interview customers to get great product insights | A Founder's Notebook

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s